Bumpers #270 - Monday 7.28.03 - Show #2018
BallODisco
2003-07-29 04:41:55 UTC
Bumpers #270 - Monday 7.28.03 - Show #2018
Guests: Jason Biggs, Dr. Robert Nichol, Jesse Graybow

=============================
RAMBLINGS and QUOTES and such ...
=============================

- "David? When do I put on the 3-D glasses?"
- "Thank God they didn't make a big deal out of their wedding." Joke #2 ...
that's the Psychic answer we were looking for.
- "The split came because there was another man, and Liza found out about it."
- OK, so Mr. S lasted a week? Fair enough. Oh wait, there's a brief
under-the-breath "Mr. S."
- "This guy, Jason Biggs, is kind of a goofball, and he ends up getting his
deal caught in something."
- Nice of Dave to mention Bob Hope, and to share some stories ... my only
slight problem with the mention is that I don't think the appropriate "beat"
was taken, before Dave moved on to the Dancers.
- Yikes, the dancers are getting a little bit younger and trashier-lookin'. LOL
- "I was told, forget that outfit." "Well I'm tellin' ya, bring it back."
- Oh, man ... kid sucks! I mean, more power to him and all, but I was a better
bowler when I was six! (I don't mean that to be flippant or anything, but I
have bowled since close to that age, and all.)
- "Slipping Into Darkness" ... much like this kid. I'm not sure why I dislike
this whole bit so much! Maybe it's because I'm a former traveling Virginia
youth champion (for a couple of weeks), or because I really enjoying bowling,
and watching bowling on TV (I watched some on ESPN earlier, actually). In any
event, I'm very happy that this kid's on the show tonight, and now six weeks
ago, which is about when he was originally scheduled.
- "These stories all seem to end the same way, Jason; they start out great, and
then the peak, and then they just sort of drop out."
- "I'm just going to tell the first half of the story, because that's the good
half ... "
- I enjoyed Jason Biggs, more than I think I likely have in the past. I'm not
saying I'll see AW/AP3 before it comes out on DVD/HBO or anything ... just
saying I enjoyed his panel.
- "What do you remembering about working with Bob Hope?" "Giant cue cards."
"Thank you; thank you for that warm, insightful recollection."
- I just got momentarily excited ... it's 12:21am, there's about 6 more minutes
of show left, and I realized that we're just about out of things to do (the
good Doctor can't drone on another segment, and even an ACT 6 full of bowling
can't take forever) ... I'm already smelling long credits. Stay tuned; a way
will be found to avoid my theory. It'd be kinda cool if Dave went outside and
talked to the kid/threw a ball or two.
- OH, I just thought of something else that bothers me ... the damn kid doesn't
even put his fingers in the ball.
- Oh no, the doctor IS going to drone on for another segment. Boo.
- OK, so I enjoyed the Gold Bond ... and I also enjoyed the kid's sudden sense
of aim ... must've been the "chocolate candy bar".
- Yay! Dave's going out to bowl!!
- Well, correction ... he went out to watch Carnegie-Mellon's finest PBA
hopeful toss a couple of zeroes. Good enough ... Daddy was busy working the
crowd, after all.

============
THE MUSIC ...
============

= ACT 1 =
Crossover Tune - "Stompin' at the Savoy"
"Lance Armstrong" - "Proud Mary", as performed by Ike and Tina Turner
End of ACT 1 CB - no idea, something new I suspect ... Chez? anyone?
= ACT 2 =
TTL/Tour de France - "Proud Mary", as performed by Ike and Tina Turner
End of ACT 2 CB - "Slipping Into Darkness", War
= ACT 3 =
Jesse/Light Bulbs - "Stars and Stripes Forever"
Jason Biggs - hmmmm
End of ACT 3 CB - "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)", Aerosmith
= ACT 4 =
Robert Nichol - geez, I suck tonight ... vaguely familiar, but I got
nothin'
End of ACT 4 CB - "Tell Me Something Good", written by Stevie Wonder
= ACT 5 =
ACT 5 Bowling - (same as above)
= ACT 6 =
End of ACT 6 CB - "Fly Away", Lenny Kravitz

===============
IN CONCLUSION ...
===============

- Ladies and gentlemen, tonight's show was amazing. I mean, wonderful!

And I'll be honest, my opinion turned around slightly because of the LONG
CREDITS ...

... and .... FINAL CHORD! God bless it. But seriously, I enjoyed the long
credits, especially because of the LSD (Late Show Dancers ... as far as you're
concerned) ... they added to the ambience of the camera shots. <grin>

Until next time,
Micah
<>~ Official "Wahoo Gazette" Sharp-Eared "Late Show" Listener - Since 12.14.02
~<>
"This may just last a day. Or a month. Or until it gets really repetitive." -
Me, in 3.20.02's Bumper Post
johnny bobby bee
2003-07-29 05:40:13 UTC
Post by BallODisco
- Ladies and gentlemen, tonight's show was amazing. I mean, wonderful!
<snip> especially because of the LSD
wow! you must have taken LSD.
i've rarely said this about the show. but, tonight's show blew chunks.
--
- Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
- free; as in free speech and free beer

remove '.eh' to email
BallODisco
2003-07-29 13:53:42 UTC
Post by johnny bobby bee
wow! you must have taken LSD.
i've rarely said this about the show. but, tonight's show blew chunks.
*Clearly* you didn't keep reading ...

<< And I'll be honest, my opinion turned around slightly because of the LONG
CREDITS ...

... and .... FINAL CHORD! God bless it. But seriously, I enjoyed the long
credits, especially because of the LSD (Late Show Dancers ... as far as you're
concerned) ... they added to the ambience of the camera shots. <grin> >>

My sarcasm must've not shone through well enough. It should inherently obvious
to all here that if there was a test pattern on the screen for an hour and two
minutes of the show, and they suddenly broke in with the long credits, I'd rate
it an "awesome show".

Or if the Vines came back.

Micah
johnny bobby bee
2003-07-30 00:30:23 UTC
Post by BallODisco
Post by johnny bobby bee
wow! you must have taken LSD.
i've rarely said this about the show. but, tonight's show blew chunks.
*Clearly* you didn't keep reading ...
no - i kept reading. it still sounded as though you liked the show.
Post by BallODisco
My sarcasm must've not shone through well enough.
not to me, it didn't.

remove '.eh' to email
Pie Cam
2003-07-29 06:27:48 UTC
-> Nice of Dave to mention Bob Hope, and to share some stories ... my only
slight problem with the mention is that I don't think the appropriate "beat"
was taken, before Dave moved on to the Dancers.
I thought it was shabbily done.
Agreed. Such an absence of meaningful reflection. I can't believe Dave
neglected to properly honor one of America's comedy greats in lieu of
yet another Clinton "I did not have relations..." dud.

Why didn't Dave have the class to forgo the dancers for one night?

What a disappointment.

Pie Cam
Donz5
2003-07-29 06:40:19 UTC
Post by Pie Cam
Agreed. Such an absence of meaningful reflection. I can't believe Dave
neglected to properly honor one of America's comedy greats in lieu of
yet another Clinton "I did not have relations..." dud.
Why didn't Dave have the class to forgo the dancers for one night?
How would the absence of the dancers provide a fitting tribute to Bob Hope?

Look, everything was off on tonight's show; the kid was uncooperative, Biggs
was pathetic, the science guy debunked the very headline of the Times article
that prompted his appearance in the first place, the bowling bits just didn't
work, because the balls never had the power or the proper aim to do their
damage. The ideas that produced tonight's show just weren't pulled off.
Pie Cam
2003-07-29 07:57:40 UTC
Post by Donz5
Post by Pie Cam
Agreed. Such an absence of meaningful reflection. I can't believe Dave
neglected to properly honor one of America's comedy greats in lieu of
yet another Clinton "I did not have relations..." dud.
Why didn't Dave have the class to forgo the dancers for one night?
How would the absence of the dancers provide a fitting tribute to Bob Hope?
You make it sound like the dancers were part of the tribute. What I
remember was a short one or two minute talk between Dave and Paul and a
quick transition to the break. Having the dancers end the act
undermined whatever solemn dignity should have been there.

After Buddy Hackett's death earlier this month, The Late Late Show had a
thoughtful retrospective of his appearances on the show. It ended the
first act of that episode with grace and respect. I understand that
Hope never appeared with Dave on CBS so a video montage would not have
worked, but I cannot believe that Dave could not muster up much for the
man. Nothing of Hope's "surprise" walk-on attempt sneaking onto the set
of Live-At-Five. Nothing of the fact that Dave made his final
appearance on Carson with Hope along side him in the guest chair. The
least that could have done was have a fade-to-black graphic ending the act.
Post by Donz5
Look, everything was off on tonight's show; the kid was uncooperative, Biggs
was pathetic, the science guy debunked the very headline of the Times article
that prompted his appearance in the first place, the bowling bits just didn't
work, because the balls never had the power or the proper aim to do their
damage. The ideas that produced tonight's show just weren't pulled off.
All things Dave had very little chance of salvaging. Dave could not
have done much to change the things you mention, but he had every
ability to request the dancers stay at the club for the night.

Pie Cam
Donz5
2003-07-29 14:34:28 UTC
Post by Pie Cam
After Buddy Hackett's death earlier this month, The Late Late Show had a
thoughtful retrospective of his appearances on the show. It ended the
first act of that episode with grace and respect. I understand that
Hope never appeared with Dave on CBS so a video montage would not have
worked, but I cannot believe that Dave could not muster up much for the
man. Nothing of Hope's "surprise" walk-on attempt sneaking onto the set
of Live-At-Five. Nothing of the fact that Dave made his final
appearance on Carson with Hope along side him in the guest chair. The
least that could have done was have a fade-to-black graphic ending the >act.
That's never been Dave's style. Whenever he's paid tribute to a known celebrity
who's just passed, he's done it near the beginning of an Act. (Steve Allen
comes to mind; just after Dave sat down after his Opening Remarks, he talked
about Steve, then continued on with the show; I honestly can't recall any
others now.) The only exceptions are his thoughts about Andy Kaufman's death in
1984, and his near-breakdown when mentioning Jimmy Fitzgerald and Tom
Casabana's deaths in 1987 and 1988. All three mentions occured in the final act
of the show; then Dave said goodnight, and each show ended with the customary
LN theme.

Besides, a "fade-to-black graphic ending the act" has become so tediously
cliched. It's a sure-fire and cheap technique that manipulates viewers'
emotions.

Was the transition from Dave's tribute about Hope to the LS dancers abrupt?
Yes. Was it an intentional snub at Hope? Doubtful. For all we know there might
have been an edit because the taping ran long, and that was the most convenient
place to shorten the show to its required length.
Helen Read
2003-07-30 02:58:46 UTC
Post by Donz5
That's never been Dave's style. Whenever he's paid tribute to a known celebrity
who's just passed, he's done it near the beginning of an Act. (Steve Allen
comes to mind; just after Dave sat down after his Opening Remarks, he talked
about Steve, then continued on with the show; I honestly can't recall any
others now.)
Gene Siskel, right after the opening remarks.
--
HPR

http://homepages.together.net/~hpr/daveorama/
Donz5
2003-07-30 03:50:16 UTC
Post by Helen Read
Post by Donz5
That's never been Dave's style. Whenever he's paid tribute to a known celebrity
who's just passed, he's done it near the beginning of an Act. (Steve Allen
comes to mind; just after Dave sat down after his Opening Remarks, he talked
about Steve, then continued on with the show; I honestly can't recall any
others now.)
Gene Siskel, right after the opening remarks.
I now remember George Miller and Leonard Tepper, both after the Opening
Remarks, too.
James Langdell
2003-07-29 15:07:57 UTC
Post by Pie Cam
-> Nice of Dave to mention Bob Hope, and to share some stories ... my only
slight problem with the mention is that I don't think the appropriate "beat"
was taken, before Dave moved on to the Dancers.
I thought it was shabbily done.
Why didn't Dave have the class to forgo the dancers for one night?
I haven't watched last night's show yet, but when I think of Bob Hope's
long career (whether the movies or USO shows), a phrase that readily
springs to mind is "Bring on the dancing girls!" With that background, a quick
transition to the Late Show Dancers might have been apt, but misfired (as so
much of that show seems to have done).

--James Langdell ***@earthlink.net
HRoss0821
2003-07-29 14:40:21 UTC
Says Micah:End of ACT 1 CB - no idea, something new I suspect ... Chez?
anyone?
Well, my best guess (and that's all it is, being as I can't hear my tape very
well over the bloody uproar that's going on just beyond my fence) is that it's
something by the Power Station. As for the others, they sound familiar but I
got nothin'.

Heather
DzubeG
2003-07-29 21:04:23 UTC
I checked out
Leno during the first commercial break and he actually gave a nice sincere
remembrance of meeting Bob Hope for the first time, you know it's a bad night
for Dave when he is outclassed by Leno.

I'm guilty of doing the same and I felt the same way. David just didn't say
enough about Bob Hope. Everyone loved him? Duh. Jay did seem very sincere for
once, and one story he told about Hope was perfect. He said Bob's wife Delores
recently asked Bob where he wanted to be buried. Hope's reply....."Surprise
me."

Deborah
Katycren
2003-07-29 21:25:33 UTC
Well, they never said the kid was a good six year old bowler!! They just
said
he was a six year old bowler!! But yes, he wasn't that good!
But I loved when Dave asked him to pick up another ball and he said no, he
didn't wnat to!!
I agree with Foxy -- Jesse acted pretty much like every other six-year-old boy
I know -- and I'm the mother of a six-year-old boy. My son's 6th birthday was
last May and he had a BOWLING party to celebrate. Compared to the kids at the
party, Jesse was brilliant.
I didn't think he was whiny either -- (I think Brady used that word, but I've
lost his synopsis somewhere in the AOL abyss.) Jesse just acted like an athlete
who is particular about his equipment. His tone of voice didn't have enough
brattiness in it to be a real whiner. (My son could teach him how the pros do
it.)
Maybe...cracking up at the whole thing!
Me, too.

Kate
HRoss0821
2003-07-30 11:39:45 UTC
Says Katy:Jesse just acted like an athlete
who is particular about his equipment.
There's a lesson in there somewhere for Kobe Bryant.

Heather
Katycren
2003-07-29 21:44:48 UTC
Post by BallODisco
- I enjoyed Jason Biggs, more than I think I likely have in the past. I'm not
saying I'll see AW/AP3 before it comes out on DVD/HBO or anything ... just
saying I enjoyed his panel.
I found Biggs unbelievably annoying. I turned against him the moment he stopped
mid-sentence to snip at Dave, "I'm *talking* -- and you --", (Dave was
adjusting his chair). The nerve! Biggs is a much bigger brat than cute little
Jesse Grabow.
At the very least, I wanted Jason's deal to get caught in the chair the next
time he stood up.
At one point in the panel, I thought Biggs was trying to act like Adam Sandler.
I'm not wild about Sandler, but Adam's 1000 times funnier than Jason Biggs.
Post by BallODisco
- Oh no, the doctor IS going to drone on for another segment. Boo.
I thought he was okay. I like the scientists to tell me the truth, even when it
isn't entertaining.
I'm pretty sure there's something to this "dark energy" thing. Didn't Brady
mention that he could no longer tolerate Miftysoso -- the obsessed O-fan? I
noticed some uncharacteristically foul-mouthed thoughts popped into my brain
today while at the BK drive-through. (I think the phrase "shit for brains"
sneaked into my mind.) And Traci said something about being cranky today on
another thread, too.
Coincidence? I think not.

Kate
Dwayer
2003-08-02 18:30:09 UTC
Post by Katycren
I'm pretty sure there's something to this "dark energy" thing.
My physics professor said, and I quote, "What they mean is that they
don't know what the fuck is going on!"

Having said that, Dark Energy is a frequent subject of articles in Sky
And Telescope:
http://skyandtelescope.com/search.asp?terms=dark+energy&section=web

Cheers,
Will
--
****
"If people don't know what you're doing,